Department of Ohio
SONS OF UNION VETERANS OF THE CIVIL WAR
Bradley A. Tilton - Ohio Department Commander 2004-2005
May 23, 2005
To: Department of Ohio Camp Commanders
From: Bradley A. Tilton
Subject: Special Department Order
Copy: Department of Ohio Council
Several additions and amendments to the Department of Ohio By-Laws will be proposed at the 123rd Department of Ohio Encampment. The Encampment business meeting will be held at 10:00 am on Saturday, June 18, 2005 at Mount Union College in Alliance, Ohio. In accordance with the Department of Ohio By-Laws Article 10, I am issuing this Special Department Order to all Department Camp Commanders for distribution to the Camp membership.
The full text of said additions and amendments is as follows:
1) To amend Article 6, Section 1, Paragraph 1 to correct the typographical error from Bade to Badge;
2) To amend Article 6, Section 1, Paragraph 4 to insert between the language Commander-in Chief and only the following: or his designated representative;
3) To insert and be designated as Article 6, Section 1, Paragraph 5 the following: “The Department Commander shall be reimbursed by the Department for his attendance at the National Encampment in an amount no greater than Two Hundred and Twenty Five Dollars ($225.00) to compensate for lodging and meals”;
4) To amend Article 8, Section 1, to read as follows: “Dues for these Members-at-large shall be as set by the Department Encampment or the National Encampment, said dues are currently established at Thirty One Dollars ($31.00)” and to Replace the phrase “of the Ohio State Camp which is attached to the Department Headquarters” with the word “Department”
5) To insert and be designated as Article 8, Section 2 to read as follows: “When a Department Member-at-Large transfers his membership into any Camp in the Order, his dues shall be pro-rated by quarters and any remaining amount of dues shall be reimbursed to the new Camp in full or in quarters as seen fit by the Department Secretary-Treasurer. When a Department Member-at-Large transfers to any camp in the Order and if the Camp dues are greater than his prior Member-at-Large dues, the new Camp cannot recover the difference for the remaining quarters of that calendar year”;
6) To amend Article 7, Section 1, Paragraph 2 to strike the language “Sandusky, Ohio Soldiers Home” and insert in it’s place the language “ Ohio Veterans’ Home, Sandusky, Ohio”;
7) To amend all sections of Article 4 where the word “TAX” is placed to read “PER CAPITA DUES” in place of “TAX”.
8) To amend all Articles to reflect the use of numbered paragraphs instead of lettered paragraphs for uniformed clarity purposes.
9) To amend Article 6 to read: “The Department Treasurer shall prepare a budget and submit it to the Council of Administration for review. The Budget then shall be presented to the Department Encampment for approval. The budget shall reflect the amounts required to conduct the affairs of the Department including but not limited to the following:”
10) To amend Article 6, Section 1, Paragraph 2 to correct the typographical error from “approbation” to “appropriation”.
11) To amend the name of the Organization in By-Laws Captions; in Articles 1, 3, 4, 8, 10 and 12 from Ohio Department and/or State Camp to Department of Ohio or simply Department where necessary.
12) To replace Article 2, Section 3 with an amended Article 2, Section 1 to read: “The Department shall meet annually during the month of June at a date and place determined by the Encampment Site Committee.”
13) To amend Article 7, Section 1 from “may” to “shall”.
14) To amend Article 7, Section 1, paragraph 1 to read: “Encampment Site Committee: Said Committee will determine the time and place for the annual Department Encampment after conferring with the other members of the Grand Army of the Republic Family. The Committee will consist of three (3) members with the Chairman appointed by the Department Commander.
Please find attached a copy of the current Department of Ohio By-Laws for reference. (in PDF format)
Thanks to Department of Ohio Council members, Ken Freshley, Jim Houston, and Chris Greene for their work on these additions and amendments.
|Yours in Fraternity, Charity, and Loyalty,||Attested,|
|Bradley A. Tilton||David V. Medert|
Bradley A. Tilton
David V. Medert